Do you have questions about child autism? It is important to know what autism is really about. We are going to tell you everything you have to know in this article.
Autism is a pervasive developmental disorder. It is not possible to cure autism. Indeed, it is a pathology that many people have all throughout their lives. It is essentially characterized by behavioral disorders, and can be of two kinds:
- Pathology: during the three first years of a child life, we notice that he or she is autistic.
- Delay an/or anomalies: it is totally possible to notice delays or anomalies in all developmental spheres to varying degrees from infancy to adulthood.
It is important to understand that the symptoms and their severity vary depending on the child and their age.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF AUTISM?
As you may have understood, it is possible to observe different symptoms in autism. Here is a list of what the signs could be:
- The child’s speech can be altered. Indeed, comprehension or the use of language are really two points that can alert the parents. Let us also note that nonverbal communication is an important point to consider.
- Sensory-motor deficits are also important. Mental delay may be one of the symptoms commonly seen in children. Feeding disorders are also an issue that should not be overlooked.
- We can also observe sleep disorders in child autism.
WHAT ARE THE WARNING SIGNS?
Sometimes it is possible to spot warning signs. If your 18-month-old has difficulty doing the following, it is possible that they have autism. However, each child develops at their own pace. This should not be taken for granted, a diagnosis by a health professional is necessary. In general, if the child has a hard time:
- Speaking or finding words
- Understanding new words,
- Answering simple “yes or no” questions,
- Walking by himself or herself,
- Showing emotions,
- Being interested in images,
- Recognizing himself or herself in the mirror,
- Feeding himself or herself.
Autism disorder does not only affect children, but signs of autism in adults are not always easy to detect.
HOW TO HELP YOUR AUTISTIC CHILD?
You can help your autistic child by listening and reassuring them. If you need help to understand and help your child, you can surround yourself with qualified personnel. There are also specialized institutions that could inform you about autism.
Another option is support tools to facilitate your child’s daily life like the Coco, educational app. Using game, children are in a better place to communicate and develop new learning abilities. Through more than 24 games, Coco works all the cognitive functions while having fun, and this, without putting in check.
All in all, getting diagnosed can help your child get any extra support they might need, as well as helping the family dealing with daily life.